Part of the National Heritage reserve. The former 14th century gothic church was built on limestone rock near to the Bela river by the Squire Donc, the Kings Deputy of Zvolen. It was an important watchtower looking over the medieval merchant roads. The castle was owned by the King until the end of the 15th century. A new chateau built in the renaissance style by the new owner, Lady Magdalena Zay, was added during the 16th century. Following a catastrophic fire in 1803 both buildings were destroyed.
Their protests in the Ostrigom canonry were made in vain. Donč was a confidential friend of the Old Hungarian king Karol Róbert and belonged to the most influential figures in Old Hungary. A castle was built on a five meter high limestone rock. Even though it was protected by fortifications and a water ditch it was very vulnerable as was proved by numerous sieges and destruction. It belonged to military buildings guarding an important trade route along the river Váh. One of the legends testify that the castle was connected by underground passages to the fortifications near Liptovský Ján and even with the castle Liptovský hrad. Later it became the seat of administration of the castle estate, the property of the OId Hungarian kings until the mid-15th century and later it was owned by donation or by the forfeiting of several landlords (for instance, the families Zápoľský, Thurzo, Ballas and others). The reconstruction of the castle is attributed to a woman - Magdaléna Zayová. There is a Slovak proverb which says: the devil sends a woman where he himself cannot get to. In other words, the deed impossible for men was done by Magdaléna.
Informačné centrum Liptovský Hrádok
SNP 172, 033 01 Liptovský Hrádok
Tel.: +421/44/522 50 60
Tel.: +421/44/522 25 72
Fax: +421/44/522 24 91
High Tatras with its 24 peaks higher than 2.500 m above sea level provide the only mountains with an Alpine character in the whole of the 1.200 km length of the Carpathian Mountain range.
The town of High Tatras was founded in 1947 and it has a population of 5,000 residents. The Administrative centre of the town is Stary Smokovec, which together with Tatranska Lomnica and Strbske Pleso provides the focal point for one of the three most important Tatra tourist resorts. High Tatras covers an area of 398 square km and is one of the largest cities in the Slovak republic.
Konverzný kurz 30,1260 Sk = 1 €
Tourist information for the visitors of High Tatras:
Mountain rescue service
NONSTOP emergency calls: 18 300
Contact: HZS Vysoké Tatry, Starý Smokovec 23, 059 60 Vysoké Tatry,
phone: 052/4422820, fax: 052/4422855, mobile: 0903624869, e-mail:
TIK - Tatra information board:
TIK STARÝ SMOKOVEC:
address: Oblastné stredisko HZS Vysoké Tatry, Starý Smokovec 23, 062 01 Vysoké Tatry
phone: +421 (0)52 442 34 40
TIK TATRANSKÁ LOMNICA:
address: TIK TATRANSKÁ LOMNICA, 059 60 Tatranská Lomnica, Vysoké Tatry
phone: +421 (0)52 446 81 19
TIK ŠTRBSKÉ PLESO:
address: TIK ŠTRBSKÉ PLESO, 059 85 Štrbské Pleso, Vysoké Tatry
phone: +421 (0)52 449 23 91