Slavkovský peak is a prospective peak visited by tourists and has a wide broad peak on the end of south-eastern fork which runs from Východná Vysoká. On the north, there are many steep ribs and gorges heading to Veľká Studená valley while on the south there is just brash. There have lived chamois which have attracted hunters since pass times. The first known ascent to the peak by the eastern ridge was performed in 1664 by 12-member company with the leadership of Juraj Buchholtz Sr., the best expert of High Tatras in those times. The hunter who accompanied them had known the track before. From the beginnings of the 19th century, the most usual ascent to the peak has been performed from the Slavskovská valley. The first touristic track from Hrebienok was built in 1881 and reconstructed in the beginning of the 20th century. Except of that, there was built a rocky obelisk with a relief with an honour to the touristic worker Maximilian Weist who motivated the construction of the path (the obelisk fell down during the 2nd World War)
Svinica is one of the best prospective peaks which rises in the western part of High Tatras. The most advantageous starting point to reach Svinica is from Poland, from Zakopane. There is also Slovak starting point in Podbanské through Tichá valley, Kasprov peak, Ľaliové saddle, Krajná and Predná kopa through Svinské saddle, although the track is much longer and difficult due to chains.
According to the legend, Kriváň is bent because once there flew an angel who accidentally brushed it and bent it what contributed to its beauty. ON the peak, there is Cyril-Metodius cross. The starting points of the track to Kriváň are in Štrbské Pleso, from the parking next to the former Chalet of Cpt. Raša, in Tri studničky and Podbanské. The track is technically difficult, tiring and long.
The name of the ridge is derived from the places which were established for their herds by shepherds from Štrba and Važec. In the 20th century, there was a ski lift built and later up to today there has been opened chalet under the Solisko. The starting point to the Predné Solisko is in Štrbské Pleso, from which the blue-marked path leads to the chalet and from there continues the red-marked one up to the peak.
The name of the peak comes from the Kôprová valley, which was named by the little plant ligusticum mutellina. There goes a nice path to the peak from Vyšné Kôprovské saddle. The starting point of the track is usually Štrbské Pleso.
Rysy (2499 m) is the border peak between Slovakia and Poland in the main ridge of High Tatras. It has 3 peaks – prospective north-western (border) one, middle (main) one and south-eastern, the shortest one. There are three ridges running from the peak – to the north towards Malé rysy, to the south through Váha towards Český peak and to the west towards Žabia fork. Rysy belongs among the most visited Tatra peaks. For the wide perspective which it provides, it was propagated before the 1st World War as Hungarian or Tatra ‘Rigi’. The first known ascent was performed by the administrator of Starý Smokovec Eduard Blásy (1820-1888) with a mountain guide Ján Ruman Diečny Sr. on the 20th of July in 1840 and later on the 10th of April in 1884 by Teodor Wundt with Jakub Horvay. The first ascent was remembered by the marble plaque in the 90s of the 19th century. Marie Curie-Sklodowska (1867-1934) with her husband Pierre visited Rysy in 1899 and later in 1913 there went Vladimir Ilyich Lenin. Rysy has got three peaks in the main ridge of High Tatras.
The peak is situated between Polish ridge and Prielom. The name of the peak describes its location to the other peaks and provides very nice views from the top. It is more or less easily accessible by a touristic path from Polish ridge. The most frequent starting point of the track is from the southern foothills – from Starý Smokovec and from Tatranská Polianka and from the north it is Lysá Poľana.
The second highest peak of High Tatras is accessible by a cable car from Tatranská Lomnica or by the one from Skalnaté tarn. There is observatory in the peak, which nowadays belongs to the hydro-meteorological institute of SAV and since 1962 there has been also physical-astronomic observatory of SAV.
Jahňací peak (2229 m) is the most eastern peak of High Tatras. There are four ridges, running from the peak – south-western towards Kolové saddle with touristic track, north-western – separating Jahňací kettle from Kolová valley, north-eastern – belongs to Kopské saddle and south-eastern – separating Červená valley from the valley of Biele tarns. There is a magnificent view from the peak. The first known ascent to the peak was performed by English traveller Robert Townson. However, the peak had been reached by shepherds, hunters and miners before, who were mining copper in its north-western ridges during the 18th century. The first winter climbers reached Jahňací peak in 1911.
Source: Na štíty a sedlá, I. Bohuš ml.
www.ibtatry.sk or in Tatra Information Offices