Castle in Stará Ľubovňa was built in the beginning of the 14th century. Members of the well-known Hungarian aristocratic families – The Omodejs and The Drugeths have gone down in the oldest history of the castle. The queen Mary and ruler Žigmund of Luxemburg visited the castle at the end of the 14th century. The most important event that has ever happened in the history of the castle was signing the peace treaty by rulers of Hungary and Poland in the year 1412. Hungarian king Žigmund of Luxemburg gave Polish ruler Vladislav II Jagellovsky the Ľubovňa castle and other 16 Spiš towns for the loan of 37 000 piles of Prague pennies. Polish mayors who administered the given part of region Spiš lived in the castle in years 1412-1769. Among the most known mayors belonged members of Polish aristocratic families – The Kmits and The Lubomirskýs. Rulers as Vladislav II Jagiello, Ján Kazimír and Ján III Sobiesky visited the castle in the time when the Polish administered it. Polish crown jewels were kept in the castle in years 1655-1661.
Change of the position of the castle in 1412 has caused serious intervention to its architecture. Main tower with adjacent gothic palace dominated the castle in the 15th century. In the 1553, the castle was stricken by huge fire. Polish king Žigmund August demanded its reparation during which the castle has changed into a big Renaissance fortress. Moreover, he built the great Renaissance palace on the most inaccessible place of the castle according to the plans of Ján Frankenstein. Italian architect Anton Italicus built the newest and the most modern western bastion in that time. Other great reconstruction of the castle in the charge of Viennese architect Pochsberger happened in the middle of the 17th century, during the office of Stanislav Lubomirský. New entrance gate, eastern bastion, early-baroque palace and chapel have been built. Further reconstructing work took place later in the middle of the 18th century in charge of Italian architect Francesco Placidi.
Polish administration of the part of region Spiš ended in 1772 during the reign of Mary Therese and the Ľubovňa castle lost its significant status. In the beginning of the 19th century it got to the hands of nobleman Juraj Felix Raisz and since the year 1883 it has become property of Polish aristocratic family of The Zamoyskys. The last private owner of the castle (until the 1945) was count Ján Zamoyský whose wife Izabela de Bourbon came from Spanish king family.
To the most precious objects of the castle belong main tower which was made accessible to the visitors after the reconstruction in 2003. The tour of the castle lasts 80 minutes and it is possible to take it either with accompanying text individually or with a guide.
Opening hours and fees: http://www.hradlubovna.sk/#